In today’s digital age, your personal information can often be just a Google search away. Your name, address, and phone number may be scattered across various online platforms, making it easier for anyone to access your private details. However, Google offers a hidden feature that can help you regain some control over your personal information.
With Google holding a dominant share of the search market at around 83%, it’s often the first place people turn to when looking for information. This feature provides a proactive approach to safeguarding your privacy.
Rather than merely requesting Google to remove private results, it actively scans the internet for your phone number, email, and home address and notifies you when it discovers any relevant information. You then have the option to instruct Google to delete these details from its search results.
It’s important to note that while this feature helps protect your privacy on Google Search, it doesn’t remove your information from the internet entirely. Nevertheless, it significantly reduces the chances of someone stumbling upon your personal data.
Here’s how to set up this alert system:
- Ensure you’re logged into your Google account.
- Open your web browser and navigate to myactivity.google.com/results-about-you.
- Select “Results to review.”
- Choose “Get started” and follow the on-screen instructions, which involve adding your personal information, such as your name, address, phone number, and email. You can add multiple entries for each category.
- Confirm that the information provided is accurate.
- Choose your preferred notification method—email, push notifications, or both.
- You will receive a pop-up message confirming that Google is monitoring your information.
Now, all that’s left is to wait for notifications from Google. When you receive an alert, you can decide whether to have Google remove the information from its search results or leave it as is.
It’s essential to keep in mind that this feature may not be available worldwide, so it’s worth checking its availability in your region. Additionally, if you need to make corrections or updates, you can return to the “Results About You” page and make the necessary changes. Your online privacy is within your grasp, and Google’s alert system is a valuable tool to help protect your personal information.